Thursday, January 1, 2009

Joe's Week Off, So Far...

Joe has been working so much lately, so we have all been looking forward to the week after Christmas, knowing Joe would be home with us. Here's what we've been up to.

Day 1, Monday

We had a lazy morning, then decided to head to Desert Ridge to have lunch and do a little shopping. The weather was perfect and we ate outside, then found some really good sales.

Later that night we celebrated Joe's brother, Justin's birthday at their dad's house. It was a great family day.


Day 2, Tuesday



We had another lazy morning watching cartoons and snuggling on the couch. We promised the girls we would go to the park after their naps. When they woke up they were ready to go. There is a park close to our house, across the street from the church, that we usually go to. Joleigh loves the swings, she has since she was little, so she spent almost the entire time there. Noelle loves to climb and slide. They had such a fun time doing their own thing, but it was great to be there together and be outside. After the park, we went to Johnny Rockets. We have talked about wanting to go there, but this was the first time we have brought the girls. They loved it from the time we walked in. They tried on their paper hats, colored in their book, and cleaned my change purse out of nickels as they chose songs for the juke box. They were so well behaved and ate so good that they were rewarded with a chocolate malt. I was so mad that I didn't have my camera, but Joe was able to take some on his phone. I'm glad we have some pictures at one of our new favorite places. Another great day!


Day 3, Wednesday


When we all woke up, Joe and I decided it was time to clean up and pack up the Christmas decorations. We, with girls help, took down the tree and boxed everything up. There is no sign of Christmas at our house. It is kind of sad just how fast the time went, it really seemed like we just put everything up. Oh well, I just look forward to next year. After our lunch, we all tried to take a good nap, knowing it was New Year's Eve. We left the girls at my parents and met up with some friends, the Bloodworths and the Schimidts, for an early dinner at the Yardhouse at Westgate. We had a great time catching up with them and devouring 1/2 priced appetizers. Actually Joe and I were the only ones technically devouring our food, you know me being 8 months pregnant and Joe just liking to eat good food. After dinner we walked around for a little while, then all went our separate ways. Joe and I went to the movies to see Yes Man, with Jim Carrey. It was a really good movie, even though there were a few parts that I could have done without. We grabbed some coffee and sat outside. There was a lot going on at Westgate, including a dance party for the kids and their parents. It was so cute watching them, but it made us miss the girls. At 10 pm, midnight in New York, they did a count down and a balloon drop. The kids all popped the balloons and it sounded like fireworks. We stayed a little longer, but were ready to head home. We picked up the girls and came to watch the ball drop at midnight on our couch.

It is still mind blowing that another year is over and that it is 2009!!! When I think about this past year and all the changes in our life and then look ahead to all the changes coming this year, I am overwhelmed but ultimately super excited to see what the future holds.

Day 4, Thursday
Shockingly we all got to sleep in until 8:45, which was awesome! I decided I need to get a little organized, especially in the girls' room, so that was my mission for the day. I need to find a place for all their new stuff and get rid of some of their old stuff. This took all morning, but finally I could see their floor, which hadn't been seen in a week. Joe worked in the backyard and watched Iowa football. We just woke from our naps and just plan on staying home for the rest of the day. It has been so wonderful having my husband and the girls having their daddy home!

2 comments:

Jobey said...

Enjoy your family time and hubby!

Happy New Year!

Rachael Schepemaker said...

What an awesome week! I'd like to see photos of how you organized the girls' rooms. I can't wait for the day when my kids sleep in past 8:00 and they take a long nap at the same time.