Saturday, October 25, 2008

Sharing a Room

This week marked a major milestone for our family, the girls started to share a room. With the new baby coming, I have been anxious to start this transition. The funny thing is that I have been so worried about when the right time would be to move them, but they decided all on their own they were ready.

For the past couple weeks, Noelle has not been sleeping well. She would fight me every time it was time to go down for a nap or bedtime. She would scream like I have never heard her scream before, jump in her crib and just throw a tantrum. I can't tell you how frustrated I was, and still am just thinking about it. I didn't know what to do, so I just decided at first to let her cry it out, but she would fall asleep after 20-30 minutes of screaming, then only sleep for 45 minutes, followed by more hysterical screaming until I went and got her. At first this was just during nap time, then this week, it started at bedtime. She would not cry herself to sleep. Monday night, she persistently cried for about 2 hours and I finally couldn't take it anymore. I was so tired myself that I went and got her and let her sleep with me for the night, I know it was weak, but I didn't know what else to do. We both got a pretty good night sleep. The only problem was then during nap time she went and crawled in my bed, and I let her, so I could take a nap as well.

I thought maybe it was the crib, she had out grown it or was scared to be confined, I don't know. So at bed time we decided to take the front part off of her crib, which turns into a toddler bed. As you can see from the pictures she was so excited.


That was until we told her it was time to go to bed, and then the screaming began all over again, except this time she could escape and run out of her room. Joe finally just went in, grabbed the crib mattress and blanket and brought them into Joleigh's room. He decided that if she was going to throw such a fit in her own room we might as well get it over with and combine them. Noelle was excited and Joleigh was happy to have her sister in her room, she wasn't however happy to go to bed, so Joleigh started crying, Noelle, not a peep. So after 10 minutes, silence, they were asleep and didn't wake up until 7:15, when they greeted us in our bed. I was thrilled and so proud of them.

So now they share a room and love it. We are still working out the kinks at nap time, but they are both taking naps and sleeping through the night again. So yeah! We are still figuring out the bed situation, we didn't think we would have to yet, so Noelle is still on her mattress on the floor until we decide what to do. Here are some pics from their new nightly routine.



1 comment:

Allen and Amy Waples said...

That's exciting! I am glad it worked so well. My sister and I shared a room for a couple years when we were growing up...I think it is so good for kids!